Last updated: January 2023
Changes to this Policy
What Types of Personal Information We Collect
Nonpublic Personal Information (“Personal Information”) is information that identifies or could reasonably identify you as an individual. Crum & Forster endeavors to limit the collection, disclosure and use of Personal Information to what is needed including Personal Information collected to properly underwrite, service and administer its insurance products and/or to fulfill legal or regulatory requirements. Depending on your relationship with us, Personal Information at times may include information that can identify you, including but not limited to your name, address, driver’s license number and other personal or work contact information, date of birth, application/quote/claim information, relationship to a policy holder/insured/claimant, customer service requests and at times government issued identification numbers such as Social Security Number and financial information such as payment card number.
If you apply for a job opportunity through our Site, Personal Information may include contact information as well as information about your work and education histories and other similar personal information you offer in support of your job application. If you apply for a job or register with our Career Center, we may also collect personal information that includes but may not be limited to your education and employment history, passwords on our systems, ethnic origin, and professional licenses and affiliations.
How We Collect Your Personal Information
Crum & Forster collects personal information in a variety of ways and depending on the relationship that you have with us.
We may collect Personal Information from you when you contact or interact with us or as needed to underwrite, service and administer insurance products. If you are a job candidate, we may collect Personal Information from you through our Career Center.
From Cookies and Similar Technology
We may use web technologies such as cookies, which automatically collect certain information from you and store it in log files.
A cookie is a small file stored on the device you are using to access C&F Services. This file uniquely identifies and recognizes your browser or device and transmits information back to the server. Depending on the cookie type, it may perform functions such as remembering your preferences, improving the quality of your visit, recording the website pages you view, remembering the name or address you entered during a visit, or delivering ads that are targeted to your interests and browsing activity.
We use essential cookies on our website to improve the Site’s functionality and analytics cookies to understand how you use the Site, improve its functionality and for other related purposes. We also use advertising/marketing cookies on the Site to help us with our marketing activities.
IMPORTANT: By using the Site, you consent to the processing of any personal information for the analytics purposes and functions described above.
As is true of most websites, we gather some PI automatically and store it in log files. This information may include the Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, language, internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit page, operating system, and date/time stamp. In addition to the purposes above, we use this PI to understand and analyze trends, to administer the Website, to learn about user behavior on the Website, and to gather demographic information about our user base.
To monitor use of the Website and improve its quality, we may compile statistical information concerning the use of the Website through analytics services, such as those provided by Google Analytics. Examples of this information may include: the number of visitors to the Website or to sections or pages within the Website, patterns of traffic flowing through the Website, length of time spent on the Website, or in sections or pages of the Website, the other sites that refer visitors to the Website, the pages of the Website that visitors frequently use as entry and exit points, utilization of the browser and operating systems and versions used by visitors to the Website.
We also may use this PI in our marketing and advertising services.
How We Use and Share Personal Information
Crum & Forster endeavors to limit the collection, disclosure, and use of Personal Information to only what is needed to interact with you, including to properly produce, underwrite and service its insurance products, fulfill legal or regulatory requirements, operate this Site and C&F Services, and in furtherance of its legitimate business purposes. Crum & Forster collects Personal Information to conduct its business of producing, underwriting, servicing and administering its insurance products, operate this Site and C&F Services, and for its business purposes including:
- To enable your use of this Site and C&F Services.
- To communicate with you, including sending messages about the availability of our Site and C&F Services, security, or other service-related issues. (You may change your communication preferences at any time. Please be aware that you cannot opt-out of receiving service messages from us, including security and legal notices.)• To provide requested services such as providing a quote, processing claims, and completing transactions.
- For testing, research, analytics and product and service development.
- To engage in marketing and advertising activities.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights including those arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing, payment, and collections.
- To send you information we believe may interest you.
- For business activities such as contract management, vendor engagement, IT and website administration and security, fulfillment, analytics, corporate governance, and legal compliance.
- To inform you of job opportunities and consider your qualifications.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, security, and safety of us, our employees, our consumers, our information systems, and the public.
- To comply with the law and statutory reporting requirements.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, governmental regulations, or other lawful processes; for public safety purposes.
- To detect and prevent fraud and other crimes.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us is among the assets transferred.
We do not share your personal information with any third-party advertisers for their advertising.
How We Disclose Personal Information
In general, we will not disclose your personal information to third parties except with your consent and as described in this Policy. We may disclose your information to our affiliates and non-affiliated third parties for the same purposes that we use it, as we deem necessary to carry out those purposes. We endeavor to choose affiliates and non-affiliates with similar standards to ours regarding the protection of data.
- Third Party Vendors or Service Providers. We may use or disclose your information for services related to managing and optimizing the Site or providing analytics; for IT services and cloud storage; for contract fulfillment, management or payment processing; for communications; and to protect our interests and legal rights.
- Legal Process, Security, Defense, Protection. We may disclose your information if required by law, subpoena, or other legal process.
- Additional disclosures. We may disclose your information if we have a good faith belief that disclosure is reasonably necessary including to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding suspected or actual illegal activities or to assist law enforcement agencies; protect the security or integrity of the Site; protect against or investigate fraud; investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party allegations or claims; protect the rights and safety of others; or to share, sell, assign, or license your information in connection with certain business transactions, such as a sale, acquisitions, merger, or change in control, or in preparation for any of these events. In such cases, we will take appropriate steps under the circumstances and to the extent possible to ensure that the recipient agrees to provide privacy protections substantially similar to those established by this Policy. Any entity that acquires all or substantially all of the Company’s assets will have the right to continue using your data consistent with this Policy or as otherwise agreed to by you.
In no case will we sell or license your information to third parties, except as set forth above or as required or permitted by law.
Safeguarding Your Privacy
We employ reasonable and appropriate administrative, physical and technical measures designed to protect the security of Personal Information we collect from you. Access to non-public personal information is limited to those employees and authorized representatives, attorneys and service providers who specifically need such information to conduct their business responsibilities. However, no system for safeguarding personal or other information is 100% secure and although we have taken steps to protect your personal information from being intercepted, accessed, used or disclosed by unauthorized persons, we cannot fully eliminate security risks associated with personal information. If you conclude your relationship with C&F, C&F will continue to safeguard your privacy in accordance with the standards described in this policy.
The privacy of communication over the internet cannot be guaranteed. If you are concerned about the security of your communication, we encourage you to send your correspondence through the postal service or use the telephone to speak directly to us.
Links to Third Parties’ Sites and Third-Party Integrations
We may provide links to websites or resources outside of our Site for informational purposes only. We may also provide links to third party integrations. Third party integrations are websites or platforms that synchronize with our Site to provide you with additional functionality, tools, or services such as maps, sending requested information, etc. You acknowledge and agree we are not responsible for the availability of third party sites, resources, or integrations and do not endorse and are not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, goods, services or other materials on, available through, or provided by such sites, resources, or integrations. We are not responsible for the privacy or other practices of such sites and cannot guarantee the security of personal information that you provide, or is collected by, such sites. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and terms and conditions on those linked sites.
Do Not Track
“Do Not Track” is a privacy preference that you can set in your Internet search browser that sends a signal to a website that you do not want the website operator to track certain browsing information about you. However, because our Site is not configured to detect Do Not Track signals from a user’s computer, we are unable to respond to Do Not Track requests. We do not track Site users over time and across third party websites.
Information on Children
The Site is not directed to children as the products and services on this Site are intended for persons 13 years of age and older. We do not knowingly collect, use or disclose any personal information from children. If we learn that personal information of persons less than 13 years-of-age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS ONLY:
Please click here.
Crum & Forster
Attn: General Counsel
P.O. Box 1973
305 Madison Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07962
¹ C&F and Crum & Forster are registered trademarks of United States Fire Insurance Company.